A South-German polychrome and parcel-gilt rack wall clock, c. 1770. The rack is mounted on a green-stained and parcel-gilt backboard surmounted by a shell ornament and embellished by cartouches and mouldings. The movement, set in an elaborate gilt bezel, has a 7.5-cm enamel dial with Arabic numerals and five-minute markings. The time is indicated by engraved and pierced gilt hands. The movement of 36-hour duration is driven by its own weight. It has verge escapement and a front pendulum (Kuhschwanz). • Height: 73 cm.
The Horological Foundation Desk Diary Project.
Back to Gallery