A late sixteenth-century French, single-handed necklace watch - a so-called ‘clock watch’ - signed on the backplate E. françois AParis c. 1600. The plain fire-gilt case has a ring pendant at the top. The richly engraved front has a silver Roman dial with touch pieces and half hour markers. The centre of the dial depicts an engraved landscape with a town. The time is indicated by a single blued-steel hand. The gilt-brass day-going movement is constructed between two oval plates connected by baluster-shaped pillars and has a going train with verge escapement, spring barrel with gut fusee, balance and a pierced and engraved balance cock on the plain backplate. The blued-steel ratchet is to set up the main spring. • Larger diameter: 65 mm. • The maker, E. Francois, is not recorded.
The Horological Foundation Desk Diary Project.
Back to Gallery